by Alejandra "Alex" Ruani — Get free science updates here.
Why do I eat? What makes me choose healthy or unhealthy foods? Who (or what) controls what I eat?
Your brain is influenced by a multitude of different things when making decisions about food.
In this 52-page report, we’ll navigate these influences: physiological or environmental, conscious or unconscious, hormonal or neural, visual or olfactory. Ready to learn?
Grab “What influences our food choices?” below:
Conveniently download this 52-page science report. Contains links to extra reading materials and scientific references.
Topics covered in this report:
- Why do I eat?
- Is it your conscious brain?
- Who (or what) is in control?
- Figure 1: Food intake influences
- You’re not asleep…
- Sleep deprivation and appetite
- Your brain’s reward centres
- Getting enough sleep
- A sweat a day keeps hunger away
- Your stress levels and food choices
- More stress, more calories?
- How stress and sleep are interlinked
- Cortisol and calorie-rich foods
- A hungry brain is a poor judge
- Feeling hungry, or feeling satisfied?
- Gender differences and evolution
- But don’t men need more calories?
- I spy with my little eye
- Advertisers may know you better
- Healthy vs. unhealthy food marketing
- We can use this to our advantage…
- Your amygdala on food packaging
- I’ll have what she’s having…
- …and the primates will have it too
- Keep your nose out of it!
- That chocolaty smell…
- Specific smells for specific purchases
- Aroma stimulates taste anticipation
- What do you value more?
- 58 specific values, 10 value types
- Figure 2: Value mapping
- Values and food choices?
- Values and food choices: examples
- Taking the first steps
- Your key takeaways
- Learn more
- References and resources
If you want to get the latest science and our tips, make sure you sign up to our Thursday emails HERE.
And I'd love to hear from you in the comments below:
- What's your number one discovery from this report?
- What does it mean to you and those you help?
- Are there any action steps you would take, or things you would change as a result of this report?
Share your own insights with me and your fellow readers!