by Alejandra "Alex" Ruani — Get free science updates here.
We often hear about acidic or alkaline foods or substances, but what do these terms actually mean? And how are they related to pH?
More importantly, do alkaline diets hold up to the claim that they prevent bone loss?
In this report, we present the scientific evidence so that you’ll know exactly what to answer when someone asks you about this topic!
Grab “Can alkaline pH diets prevent bone loss?” below:
Conveniently download this 30-page science report. Contains links to extra reading materials and scientific references.
Topics covered in this report:
- What are alkaline pH diets?
- What’s pH?
- What are hydrogen ions, and where do they come from?
- Diverse body tissue, diverse pH
- Intestinal pH
- What if our blood gets too acidic?
- Effects of metabolic acidosis
- Do alkaline diets prevent bone loss?
- Are bone-loss prevention and blood pH connected?
- How is blood pH regulated?
- Bicarbonate and acidosis
- pH regulation by your lungs
- Blood pH, kidneys and lungs
- What causes metabolic acidosis?
- Other causes of metabolic acidosis
- Back to the alkaline diet hypothesis
- Acidic diet and calcium in urine
- Protein and calcium absorption
- Your key takeaways
- References and resources
If you want to get the latest science and our tips, make sure you sign up to our Thursday emails HERE.
And let me know in the comments below what you think about alkaline diets and bone health - I'd love to hear from you!