Certificate in Exercise Physiology: Understanding Athletic Performance
By The Health Sciences Academy. The leading provider of science-based interactive courses on the net.
Course Code: APEP6678
The overall aim of this course is to provide an introduction to the study of exercise physiology, with a focus on the physiological and metabolic responses to acute and chronic exercise and their implications for athletic performance.
Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Describe the sequence of events in muscle contraction, the characteristics of skeletal muscle fibre types, their recruitment during exercise and relevance to athletic performance, the sites of energy use during muscle contraction and the specific muscle adaptations to different types of exercise.
2. Summarise the energy systems utilised during exercise of varying intensity and duration and understand the factors that influence carbohydrate and fat metabolism during exercise.
3. Describe the cardiorespiratory responses to exercise that facilitate oxygen delivery to, and consumption by, contracting skeletal muscle during exercise and summarise the physiological determinants of maximal oxygen uptake.
4. Understand the mechanisms of heat loss during exercise and their physiological implications, the effect of heat stress on physiological and metabolic responses to exercise and effective countermeasures, the effects of fluid loss on physiological function and the benefits of fluid replacement during exercise.
5. Describe the central and peripheral factors that mediate fatigue during exercise of varying intensity and duration and the physiological determinants of sprinting and endurance performance.
6. Appreciate the potential role of genetic factors in mediating exercise performance and responses to exercise training.
This Exercise Physiology course is designed for you to work through successfully on your own. However you will not be alone on this journey. Use the resources included in the course and take part in the suggested learning activities to get the most out of your learning.
While the course is presented in a logical sequence, with knowledge building on previous work done, follow your interests and look ahead if you are curious about what is coming up.
Will I get a Certificate after completing this course?
Yes. Students who successfully complete the course will have the opportunity to receive a Certificate of Completion.
No pre-requisite of any science background is required. Only high school level science is required.
The cost of this course is £589.
Payments in GBP, EUR and USD are accepted.
Pay for your programme in 12 monthly instalments.
Includes access to your protected learners’ area, all course materials, lessons, interactive quizzes, online assessments, worksheets, a community of like-minded classmates, and Learner Services support.
You have the drive and the motivation. We will provide you the tools to put your passion into practice.
Click on the “Apply” link below to enrol.
Many thanks, and see you at the other side, where your new journey and rewards begin.