Advanced Clinical Weight Loss Practitioner™
Professional Diploma Level 5
Accredited by CPD. Endorsed by YMCA Awards (CYQ's new brand). Approved by IICT and underwriters for membership and insurance.
The highlight for me is the science-based questionnaires and hand-outs to give to clients. Exceptional.Alex Waud (Driffield, UK), Fitness Instructor
I've done many courses which are online based e-learning and I can honestly say... the best.Sarah Gleave (Lincoln, UK), Sports and Exercise Nutritional Advisor
Learn how to answer these and custom-build a weight loss programme based on proven scientific methods:
- Your brain on food
- New science of food addiction
- Hunger hormones
- Why portion control doesn’t work
- How NOT to feel hungry during weight loss
- What biggest losers do that others don’t
- When fast weight loss may be better
- When fat is not fat: Water retention and food intolerances
- Comfort food as self-medication
- The fix for lack of willpower
- Psychology behind successful weight loss
- Body composition and metabolic analysis
70 units • 90 CPD hours • videos • workbooks
- Skills Lab™: Personal Strategy Questionnaire (What’s your goal?)
- The dangers of being overweight
- Skills Lab™: What do people eat?
- Skills Lab™: What is your weight gain probability?
- What makes us fat?
- How to start losing weight?
- How the body stores fat and protein
- How the body stores carbohydrates
- Low carb vs. low fat diets
- Weight history analysis
- Weight history evaluation
- Skills Lab™: What is your ideal weight?
- Optimal weight and goal setting
- Successful weight loss and adherence
- Calculating body mass
- Calculating ideal weight
- Body composition assessment
- Blood pressure and weight control
- Measuring height and weight
- Tracking body measurements
- Monitoring body fat
- Preparing your consultation space
- Effective weight management
- Analysing the energy values in food
- What is metabolism
- Client metabolic assessment
- Food addiction: Lack of willpower, or else?
- Skills Lab™: Are you addicted to food?
- Food habituation and weight loss
- Insulin and the glycaemic index
- GI of foods and satiety
- Low GI or Low Carb?
- How do hormones work?
- Skills Lab™: Why are we getting fatter this fast?
- How to plan a weight loss diet
- Carbohydrates and weight loss
- Dietary fat reduction
- Protein for fat loss
- How to personalise target macronutrient ratios
- The Weight Loss Formula™
- Dietary evaluation methods
- Food record analysis and recommendations
- Introducing the Weight Loss Pyramid™
- Skills Lab™: Current Weight Loss Pyramid™
- Meal planning and eating times
- The 15 pillars of weight control
- Skills Lab™: What is your personal action plan?
- How to promote weight loss success
- Is exercise really necessary to lose weight?
- How to speed up fat loss
- Skills Lab™: How fit are you?
- Developing a client activity programme
- Skills Lab™: Could you have a food intolerance?
- When is fat not fat: water retention, food sensitivities, and cravings
- How to uncover and relieve a food allergy or intolerance
- Isolated and combined pulse testing methods
- Food rotation and reintroduction
- Skills Lab™: How stressed are you?
- Comfort food as self-medication
- Sleep debt and cravings
- Sleep and weight loss
- Psychology of change
- Motivational interviewing
- Roadmap to success
- How not to fail
- Food relationship
- Skills Lab™: What is your weight loss personality?
- Personality traits and weight loss: Weight Loss Personality Test™ (bonus worth £99)
- Dos, don’ts, and, must dos as a Clinical Weight Loss practitioner
- Legal, Insurance, Tax, and Professional considerations
Skills Lab™ : Instantly apply your knowledge!
Get certified without delay
When you start, you'll also get:
- Unlimited 24/7 access to your course lessons
- PDF files for all key materials – you can open, save or print these at your convenience
- Ready-to-use templates for your clients: nutrient calculators, meal planners, food diaries, health questionnaires and legal forms
- Interactive, automatically graded online quizzes which you need to complete before moving onto your next module
- A fully automatically graded final exam (Score > 80% and you have passed…. No retake fees!)
- Interactive questionnaires and polls – add your voice and see what your fellow students say
- SKILLS LAB™ – guided field tasks, learning tasks, worksheets, idea banks creation, and games. Instantly apply what you learn and stay motivated by comparing how your classmates are doing!
- Video training in key modules, with guided learning tasks and practical workbooks
- Glossary, conversions guide and additional resources with examples, science or reference research
- Instant PDF certificate upon completion signed and dated by your course director
- Achievement badge to display on your website, business card and marketing materials
- 24/7 access to the Learner Services portal
- Free bonus module: Weight Loss Personality Test™ (worth £99)
- And none of it expires!
Business in a box.
Templates for immediate use with clients
Assessment tools to personalise programmes
Earn while you learn.
Planning tools to equip your practice
Methods you won’t find anywhere else
A complete blueprint for you.
Coaching scripts and consultation materials
FREE Bonus Module! (worth £99)
Love the additional client forms/questionnaires that will help me set up my new business. Love the simplistic layout of the course materials, easy to find and follow advice and info that will stay with me. i found this way of learning was more effective for me than just going through a text book.Caroline Smith (Heywood, Lancashire, UK)
Everything was set at the right level, covering science based materials with practical examples. Templates were easy to follow, and provided the ability to explain nutritional strategies to any potential clients, in line with their chosen goals. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and found it very valuable. Looking forward to putting it into practice! Thanks!Ravin Patel (Reigate, Surrey, UK)
The Health Sciences Academy ® is the largest online educator on nutrition science in the UK, focusing on science-based certification courses recognised by government-regulated awarding bodies, from Sports and Exercise Nutrition, to Clinical Weight Loss, to Advanced Supplements.
Our online lessons and practical materials are 100% engineered by our very own team of scientists and researchers. This way, we provide students with reliable science-based knowledge and hands-on tools, helping them to develop their own expertise. As opposed to passive learning, we encourage an active and creative discovery, whilst offering a gradual and interactive learning experience.
Through an easy to use state-of-the-art multimedia platform, students can take interactive quizzes, participate in live polls, complete online assessments, download printable worksheets for use with their clients, and put their knowledge in practice through Skills Lab™. There is nothing else like it.
A trusted source for science-based knowledge.
Not only do you gain a wealth of knowledge and skills, it’s a virtual business in a box, all forms and step-by-step information on how to carry out all consultations, you just have to provide the clients!Eva Lassesson (Hastings, UK)
Enhancing my knowledge by getting the science behind my own understanding and use. Also, the further reading and client handouts ref material etc are very beneficial to my existing practice.Scott Pirie (Croyde, Braunton, UK)
Earn and display your achievement!
Learn from any device!
- No installation of other software required
- Uses HTML5 and CSS3 (no Flash)
- Loads quickly even over slow connections
- Automatically adjusts for mobile devices
Advanced interactive polls
- Anonymously share with your classmates
- Fun way that incorporates your learnings
- Live data and presentation of results
- Help us focus our research and updates
Everything above is included in your price.
Q.What are the entry requirements for this course?
A.There are no entry requirements other than being at least 16 years of age and a willingness to jump in, learn your way around, and have fun!
Q.Do I need any specific background, experience or qualification to Start?
A.No pre-requisite of any science background is required. High school level science can be helpful. No prior experience and/or educational paperwork are required.
Q.How many REPs CPD points will I earn?
A.Once you have successfully completed your training and purchased the optional SkillsActive Professional Add-on Module, you will receive 6 REPs CPD points. In order to redeem your REPs CPD points, please record them in your online REPs portal. Please note that this applies to Level 3 Qualified REPs members only who have joined by 1 December 2016.
Q.Do you send me any materials in the post?
A.The entire course is online. You can download and print all of your materials, including your client worksheets and planning tools. Don’t worry if you don’t have a printer, in addition to your online access, we can courier your course pack once you’ve registered your course for an additional fee. Upon registration, you’ll be given this option so you can instantly order your course pack.
Q.Is there a deadline to complete my course?
A.No, there are no fixed deadlines. Our programme allows you to be 100% in control of your own time. In other words, you are in charge of your own study agenda. This puts you in the driving seat and increases the enjoyment of your learning experience. What’s more, you have lifetime access to your course, which means that it is yours forever to keep, including all future updates and new content!
Q.How long does it take to complete the course?
A.You can do it as quickly or slowly as you wish. Our programme allows you to be 100% in control of your own time. In other words, you are in charge of your own study agenda. This puts you in the driving seat and increases the enjoyment of your learning experience.
Q.Do I need any special software to complete my course?
A.No special operating system is required. You need a computer and internet access. Upon registration, we help you navigate the online system and also provide access to our 24/7 Interactive Learner Services portal.
Q.Do I have to submit written assignments?
A.No. Instead, you are presented with learning checks built into each module, guided Skills Lab™ tasks, worksheets, student games and polls, practical self-assignments and online tests. This way you won’t feel stuck over the composition and marking of written tasks. What’s more, your study time is reduced so you can concentrate on what really matters: Applying your newly acquired knowledge to real life situations!
Q.What assessments are in there?
A.At the end of each module, there is a multiple choice quiz based on the readings and lesson materials. The purpose of the quizzes is to enhance your retention of the material. You are permitted to refer to the module lessons and other notes during the quizzes. There is no time limit and you have an unlimited number of attempts to take the quiz. You will see feedback on your correct and incorrect answers after you pass. At the end of the course, there is a final theory exam (online), covering what you have learned in all modules. Upon successful completion of your final exam with a final score of 80% or above, you will receive your certificate.
Q.If I fail the final exam, do you charge any fees to retake it?
A.No, there are no additional fees to retake your final theory exam. In fact, you will be able to retake it instantly (online), without any further administrative step. You are permitted to refer to the module lessons and other notes during your final exam. There is no time limit and you have an unlimited number of attempts to take it.
Q.Can the course help with my career?
A.Absolutely! The course is packed with Downloadable Client Materials and Session Handouts that will help you establish or expand your nutritional practice.
You final module covers the key professional, legal, tax, and insurance considerations in order to set up your practice. In there, we also provide you with downloadable legal templates for you to print and use as soon as you start seeing clients.
We also offer an optional, premium Clinic Toolkit™ packed with intelligent forms to help start or enhance your practice.
Q.Do I need to finish the course within 12 months?
A.No, there are no fixed deadlines and you can take as long as you need to complete it. You can finish it in a few weeks or in a couple of years, at your own pace. Plus, you have lifetime access to your course systems and materials, both before and after graduation, including all future updates and new research. This way, you’re supported with content that is current and fresh throughout your entire practice. If you have a gift voucher, we suggest your redeem it as soon as possible – and then start your course lessons whenever you are ready later on.
Q.How many hours per week do you recommend I study for?
A.It depends on how quickly you would like to complete your certification. You can study for as many hours per week as your work and social life allows. The guided learning hours to complete this course: 90 hours.
Q.Is the course accredited or recognised by an awarding body?
A.Yes. It has been accredited by CPD (the official certification service for Continuing Professional Development, which carries both UK and International recognition), endorsed by YMCA Awards (previously Central YMCA Qualifications/CYQ), the UK’s leading and longest-established awarding body for health, fitness and wellness qualifications, and approved by IICT (the International Institute for Complementary Therapists) for professional membership and insurance.
You can find out more about our awarding bodies HERE.
Q.Are there any hidden charges?
A.Everything we’ve detailed above these Frequently Asked Questions is included in your price! You’ll have the choice to select optional add-ons (entirely up to you if you want them or not), such as a printed course pack by post or professional add-on registration modules for CPD and YMCA Awards. Not all of our graduates seek to evidence a professional recognition, so we’ve made it optional and those who don’t need it won’t have to pay extra. We also offer an optional, premium Clinic Toolkit™ packed with intelligent forms to help start or enhance your practice. Contact us if you require further information.
I enjoyed everything, one of the benefits is you work from home in your own time so it's very flexible. The downloadable print outs were very helpful as well.Tracy Brown (Leeds, West Yorkshire)
There is so much information available nowadays, and it is difficult to decide which one to follow without thorough understanding of the subject. I wanted to be able to make wise decisions. This was great.Eszter Sarolta Bara (Nagykovácsi, Hungary)
We asked our new joiners...
Have you taken any health, fitness or nutrition courses in the past?
“Yes” answers include: Personal Training (L3), BSc Degree (Hons) in Sport & Health, Dietetics & Nutrition, Physiotherapy, Health & Social Care, Nursing, BSc Sports Therapy, Advanced Clinical Sports Therapy, BSc Health Sciences.
* Data as of 24 March 2014