by Alejandra "Alex" Ruani — Get free science updates here.
What to eat if nerves kick in?
Most London Marathon runners get pre-competition nerves. When nerves kick in, you may lose your appetite. However, you shouldn’t skip today’s evening meal, as this is an important time for topping up your muscle glycogen!
Here’s a few meal alternatives if you find it difficult to eat solid foods:
- Liquid meals: Meal replacement products, milkshakes, or fruit smoothies.
- Semi-liquid food: Yogurt, custard and rice pudding.
- Bland foods: Semolina, mashed potato, or porridge.
Also, to reduce digestive problems and stomach cramps:
- Avoid high-fibre foods such as cereals, dried fruit, and pulses.
- Avoid vegetables that cause flatulence such as cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, broccoli.
- Most importantly, avoid anything that is new or unfamiliar!
Good luck with your run and we’ll be cheering for you!